Saturday, May 10, 2014

Derby Festival Fun

We were able to participate in many Derby Festival activities this year, including The Great Steamboat Race, Evan's Derby parade at Chancey, The Kentucky Oaks, and a Derby party. (Carl also went to Dawn at the Downs and had an additional day at the track with Humana.) As always, we had a lot of fun, but I am pretty sure it took us several days to catch up on sleep!

We met Carl downtown for The Great Steamboat Race. We got there right just in time to cheer for The Belle of Louisville as both boats began the race. After the boat race began, we got some drinks and snacks and headed over to the games, bouncers, and rides. Evan really enjoyed the games and he was able to win several prizes. He also, enjoyed the rides, but not nearly as much as Preston did! Preston REALLY liked the rides. As soon as he got off of one ride, he would happily ask to ride again by smiling and  shouting, "Ride!" He rode the carousel many times and I also took him on the giant slide. Unfortunately, the weather was unseasonably cold, so we did not stay too long, but we had a great time while we were there.

I just adore this picture of Evan. I asked him to turn so I could take his picture and he did this! He said, "This is because I am SO excited!"


Preston was SO excited to see the boats!


The rides were the best part of the evening for Preston.


Winner!


On Thursday, I was able to go to school to see Evan's Derby parade. He made a Star Wars float and was very excited that I could come to see him and his friends! (The parade was during nap time, so I am grateful that Grammy was able to come and watch Preston, so that I could see the parade.)

Evan's Derby Parade

Evan's Star Wars float was super cool!


Evan's Kindergarten Class


Once again, Carl and I made a fairly last minute decision to go to The Oaks. It was a beautiful day, but it was once again quite chilly, we decided against dressing up and put on comfy clothes and headed to the infield. We enjoyed watching the races, eating, drinking and making some new friends. One of the funniest things to happen while we were there was that people had hidden bourbon in a very large shrub/tree near where we were sitting. When some kids played in the shrub/tree, the bourbon began falling out! It scared the kids, but the people closest to the tree got some free bourbon! Thankfully, they were nice enough to share the wealth!

The weather was cool, but not too bad when we arrived. This is what we looked like when we first arrived.


The weather go so cold that I put in the sweatshirt that I brought and Carl had to buy a sweatshirt! We still had fun! Cheers!


This kind gentleman shared the bourbon he found in "the bourbon tree."


 On Saturday, we had a Derby party. We were so excited to have the Congelton family come in town to visit, as well as have Rachel, Teddy, Caroline, Ron, Greg, Alison and their house guests join us too. The kids had lots of fun playing, while the adults watched the races and enjoyed each other's company. It was a fun day, despite the fact that no one chose the Derby winner!

All of the little ones enjoyed the wagon!


Me and Carl


Rachel and Teddy


Greg and Alison


Me and Terri (It got cold as the day wore on, so we all put on jackets!)


These boys sure had fun! So glad to have such good friends!




No comments: